BBC Archives 1967-1969 (HRV CDR 008) RevB
40th Anniversary Edition
Research and Remastering by MOB
Quality Control by EdP
Artwork by RonToon
Produced by Harvested Records
1. Pow R Toc H (14May67 "Look Of The Week")
2. Astronomy Domine (14May67 "Look Of The Week")
3. The Gnome (25Sep67 "Top Gear")
4. Scarecrow (25Sep67 "Top Gear")
5. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (25Sep67 "Top Gear")
6. Matilda Mother (25Sep67 "Top Gear")
7. Reaction in G (25Sep67 "Top Gear")
8. Flaming (25Sep67 "Top Gear")
9. Green Onions (12Dec67 "Tomorrow's World")
10. Instrumental (12Dec67 "Tomorrow's World")
11. Vegetable Man (20Dec67 "Top Gear")
12. Scream Thy Last Scream (20Dec67 "Top Gear")
13. Pow R Toc H (20Dec67 "Top Gear")
14. Jugband Blues (20Dec67 "Top Gear")
1. Instrumental (26Mar68 "The Sound Of Change")
2. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (28Mar68 "Omnibus' All My Loving")
3. The Murderotic Woman (25Jun68 "Top Gear")
4. The Massed Gadgets Of Hercules (25Jun68 "Top Gear")
5. Let There Be More Light (25Jun68 "Top Gear")
6. Julia Dream (25Jun68 "Top Gear")
7. Point Me At The Sky (02Dec68 "Top Gear")
8. Baby Blue Shuffle In D Major (02Dec68 "Top Gear")
9. Embryo (02Dec68 "Top Gear")
10. Interstellar Overdrive (02Dec68 "Top Gear")
11. Daybreak (12May69 "Top Gear")
12. Nightmare (12May69 "Top Gear")
13. The Beginning (12May69 "Top Gear")
14. Beset By Creatures Of The Deep (12May69 "Top Gear")
15. The Narrow Way (12May69 "Top Gear")
16. Moonhead (20Jul69 "Omnibus' What If It's Just Green Cheese?")
40 years after the last Pink Floyd studio session for the BBC, Harvested is proud to present this upgraded version of "BBC Archives 1967-1969".
This release required a lot of work and took more than 6 months to complete. The purpose was to present each track in the best possible quality. The process was long because it was performed on a track by track basis. For each song, we had to compare many different sources in order to identify the strengths and weaknesses of each version and then decide which one(s) to work on. The mastering work was done very carefully, trying to repair every flaw that could be corrected... and there were a lot (tape warble, crackles, drop-outs, incorrect speed, etc).
Instead of giving all the details for each single track (we want to avoid sterile debates about lineage and sources), we prefer the results to speak for itself. We think people should judge by their ears; listen to your sonically-preferred versions and compare them to the ones on this new Harvested release. We can confidently say that every track is - sonically speaking - an upgrade compared to the best previously circulating version, including the master transfer of the 25Jun68 session (which offered complete versions but from a damaged mastertape) and the recent Celestial Voices tracks from the 12May69 session.
We made the choice not to include the various DJ intros in order to focus on the music. There are some exceptions such as Reaction In G and Set The Controls from the 25Sep67 session, but for the remainder the DJ comments were considered too distracting and so we edited them out (e.g. the Tomorrow's World tracks). Also, it's important to note that all tracks are presented in true mono, the way they were mixed by the BBC (there's no "fake stereo" nor "sound expanding" effect).
This collection not only includes the sessions for BBC radio, but also studio sessions for BBC TV shows and documentaries making it more complete than the previous releases. The number of tracks is now 30; 14 are covering the 1967 sessions with Syd (on CD 1) and 16 are dedicated to the 1968-1969 era with David (on CD 2).
Cuesheets are included for those who like to burn CDRs with all the required text info.
Download this bootleg here